Men's Ministry Retreat 2017
Our Men’s Retreat 2017 took place from Feb. 27th-29th at the beautiful
Lake Pleasant Desert Outdoor Center. We had 20 men who attended. It was awesome to see everyone taking advantage of the opportunity to hang out together, engage in the planned activities and benefit from the excellent teaching of Roger King.
There was a lot of fun to be had participating in the 2 man corn hole toss tourney organized by Dave Huss and the late night Poker tourney organized by Gary Graham as well as a little chess play and some other board game gamesmanship.
Roger's theme for the weekend came from King David's charge to his son Solomon in 1 Kings 2:2-3 as he neared his death: "So be strong and, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires..." Roger asked the question "What does it mean to be a man of God?" and set out to explore that question over the course of the weekend.
Some of the important points Roger made were:
- Godly men have the courage to face their challenges. Men who run from their challenges often find that their means of escape become their prisons.
- Godly men are men of prayer. The devil may attempt to hinder your prayers (Daniel ch. 10) but he can't stop your prayers. Only you can stop you from praying.
- As men of God we are to take every thought captive to Christ. We do this by speaking the word of God:
"Your mind will always stop to hear what your mouth is saying."
- Godly men recognize and stay away from things that are a trap for them."
- Opportunities (good and bad) test character.
- Your faith has to be bigger than your situation.
- The Hebrew word for "soul" is the word "nephish" which means "to rub off on". The more we spend time with Jesus, the more His person or character will rub off on us.
- Christs" power at work in us is not so much to enable us "to do" as it is to enable us "to be". It's about developing godly character.
Jesus' strength came from His character and our character determines who we are.
Roger wrapped things up Sun morning by drawing from 1 Thess. 5:24 & Phillip 1:6 in making the point that God is faithful and will complete the work that He has begun in each one of us.
Very AWESOME time together. Thanks to everyone who made the effort to be there! Special thanks to the guys who helped out with the meals (Troy, Josh...) and the clean up duty!
THANK YOU, ROGER, for all the wisdom and encouragement! It was great getting to know you up close and personal!
About Roger King
Roger King is the Founder and Director of Reaching the World Inc. in the USA and Reaching the World Trust in the UK. Since 1984 he has traveled and ministered in 40 nations as a missionary. "
Visit Roger King's Reaching the World web site
Men's Retreat 2017 Photos